1. After last month’s post of quotes, this one came along too late to join that party. Told to me by my darling mother… I love her dearly, and with Mother’s Day around the corner, here is one last quote in honor of Linda A. Haan, aka “One of the World’s Best Mothers”.
“Oh, the comfort – the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person – having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away.” – Dinah Maria Mulock Craik
2. ABC Kitchen is a favorite restaurant for all meals! I have had breakfast, lunch and dinner a myriad of times… but never brunch. On a recent weekend, I had the joy checking that off my list. Shaved asparagus, bacon, a cheese spread of house-made ricotta cheese, parmigiano and fontina… then a perfectly fried egg, and did I mention that was all beautifully crafted on top of the chewiest pizza crust? It was a special, so sadly it probably isn’t often on the menu. If it is… ORDER IT!!!!!
3. A splurge that lasts and is loved a lifetime can’t be deemed an actual splurge… right? This Céline luggage tote has been one of the better purchases I’ve made. I love it. It’s the best carry on, but also the best work bag. While I have yet to own it a lifetime, I already know I’ll appreciate its beauty and perfection for some time to come.
4. I’ve recently started another volunteer service. Once a week, I spend a morning at the Holy Apostle Soup Kitchen on Ninth Avenue at 28th Street. They serve nearly 1,000 meals a day, and I’m happy to help out. Here’s the link, if you think you may have time to volunteer. Spread the love! http://holyapostlessoupkitchen.org
5. I’ve bought a number of things from the past few collections that Uniqlo has done with Ines de la Fressange. Cool pants, a great tank top, a perfect trench. The dress I wanted was sold out. Boo. She really has exceptional style, and Uniqlo makes it so well AND affordable.
6. My brother clued me into this remarkable 30th anniversary Pet Sounds album by the Beach Boys. They have removed all musical tracks and just kept the vocals. You can hear the glory of harmony and overdubbing Brian Wilson perfected in my favorite, Wouldn’t It Be Nice. Close your eyes and enjoy!
7. Umami burger is a transplant from Los Angeles. We thank you LA for sharing! Not much on the menu that isn’t ridiculously delicious. Since my adored Husk burger is states away, I’m adequately satisfied by a Truffle burger… or the Manly Burger… or Truffle fries… or… or…
8. What better way to finish off a burger than with a huge hunk of ice cream. Ben & Jerry have made what is basically my personal kryptonite. Vanilla ice cream, shot with a salted caramel column down the center of the pint, bits of blondie brownie floating about. I’ve day dreamed about it. I’ve felt anxiety upon entering a grocery store in fear they won’t have it. I’ve stopped eating my dinner to save a little corner of my stomach… room enough for a few spoonfuls. SINCERE LOVE.
9. The World’s Cutest Dog, aka Jasper, likes to hang out my front window, like a little old lady in the neighborhood, watching life move along. He sits there for ages, when the weather permits an open window, which in NYC has really only been about a week now. Pass by, and you’ll probably see him checking you out! I’m hopelessly in love!
10. Out our window is a simple flower box, and in a past post, you’ve seen mourning doves making a cozy nest for their babies. I’ve seen them pacing about, so it’s time to replant, and I just love pansies. They have the sweetest faces.